While our bodies are capable of overcoming many aches and pains, permanent hearing loss, unfortunately, cannot be reversed. The best way to prevent hearing loss from happening in the first place is to protect your ears, especially when in noisy environments.
How loud is too loud?
The World Health Organization recommends wearing ear protection whenever you plan to be in environments noisier than 85 decibels (dB), or about the sound of a vacuum or mild traffic.
A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB, which is not loud enough to cause damage. A bulldozer that sits idling can cause permanent damage after a full workday (eight hours). Listening to music through earbuds or headphones can reach between 100 and 140 dB, which is loud enough to cause permanent damage after 15 minutes.
What is hearing protection?
The most common types of hearing protection include earplugs and earmolds. Earplugs are small, conic-shaped plugs while earmolds are larger, and more disc-like in shape. Both are soft, squishy forms that are made to insert into the ear canal. Most people are familiar with over-the-counter earplugs, available at drug stores and pharmacies. While these options are readily available and cost-effective, they do not provide a tight fit like custom-made products.
Custom-made earplugs and earmolds are suitable for many people, including:
- Hunting: Fine-tuned hearing protection that blocks damaging noises but enables you to hear the sounds you need while hunting.
- Music: Ideal for individuals attending concerts or sporting events regularly
- Swimming: Designed to protect against water entering the ear canal
- Sleep: Sleep better at night with ear protection that blocks out distracting noises
- Motorsport: Protection for individuals that are immersed in loud engine and motor noise.
- Surf: Protection that keeps moisture from flooding the ear canal while surfing.
- Occupational: Designed to protect employees surrounded by noisy work environments.
- iCustom: Custom protection for your earbuds.
- DefendEar products: A suite of products with sophisticated technology to support your hearing while at the range.
Hearing protection for musicians
It is especially important for musicians to pay attention to protecting their hearing. With in-ear monitors, musicians can hear the sounds around them without having to worry about risking permanent damage. The hearing healthcare professionals at Texas Professional Hearing Center can provide you with custom earmold solutions, combined with in-ear monitors. These combinations aren’t just for rock and roll or country music stars. In-ear monitors are suitable for all types of individuals within the music industry, including:
- Students in school band, drum corps or orchestra
- Nightclub workers
- Entertainment industry
- Music teachers and conductors
Hunting, shooting and sudden noise. A filter instantaneously closes when damaging noise levels are reached. Allows essentially normal hearing at all other times.
Ideal for performing musicians and concert-goers. Also great for flight attendants, bartenders, waiters, dental professionals. Allows wearer to hear sounds accurately, but at reduced levels. Three filter options available: 9dB, 15dB or 25dB.
For swimming and showering – and they FLOAT! Also provide superb noise reduction.
Offers comfortable and uninterrupted rest. Also great for shift workers with non-traditional hours.
Designed with a hollow canal for under helmet use to reduce wind buffeting.
Designed to prevent surfer’s ear and swimmer’s ear caused by exposure to cold water and wind. The floatable material is molded with a sealed membrane spanning the sound bore that keeps cold water and air out of the ear canal, but allows for conversation and hearing while in the ear.
Ideal for high-noise industrial environments.
For use with any bud/button style earphones.
Amplification for situational awareness, as well as noise attenuation when you pull the trigger.
Offers two modes, game, which is optimized for intermittent shots, and clay mode, which is optimized for continued shots.
Offers standard digital features and provides protection in windy environments.